Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Deployment to Sather AB, Iraq - 7

Good morning Everyone, I hope this finds you doing ok. For you all, its evening I am sure! Things are okay here except that I am sick as hell and of course sleep deprived still! No surprise there! Yeah, the crud is going around base like a wildfire, but thats not unusual on deployment. It is a standard induction to any base, especially here where there's all sorts of funky crap to contract! We call it the "Sather Sludge".

General Bishop joined us yesterday for a visit. He's a great guy. Very much enjoys talking to everyone and anyone, especially about history and philosophy. He doesn't act like a general. I should explain who he is. He is the Wing Commander, our base commander's boss. One of his favorite topics is the Tuskeegee Airmen. If you've never heard of them you should do some research and even read up. They are a fanscinating story! The first all black squadron of fighter pilots, they fought in WWII and had ultimately the best record of any squadron in the air during the war. Anyway, he is very supportive of the medical mission here in Iraq, something that gets very little recognition or notice around here. Until they need us, of course!

The nights are getting warmer and its about time for the weather to change. We will probably see high temps coming up soon. Not sure if I mentioned that, LOL! But the days are gorgeous around here for the most part.

I had one chance yesterday to get a few hours sleep, mid shift. Yeah, that didn't happen. I was about 10 minutes dozed off, and the HVAC (heating/air) people came by to try to hook something up in our tent. They made enough noise to wake the comatose! I very unpolitely told them to leave a number of times before I became unbelievably pissed. By the time they left, I was too mad to sleep, so I went back to work and 17 hours later, here I am. Its almost midmorning here into my third shift. We will see how the rest of today works out. I am waiting on the commander to go to a series of meetings so I can leave here. If he gets moving, I can go sleep for a few, maybe. I may have to duct tape his ass to the roof of the ambulance and drive him 15 yards to the admin building!

It seems, as if I haven't already said so, that the last rotation of people that we replaced left us with quite a mess in all departments. We have been so busy trying to get things caught up and in order, that even our daily tasks take a few extra hours each day. And all of our days off. Hopefully in a couple more weeks things will iron out and we'll be able to maintain all departments easier with minimal work, at least less than we are doing right now. A couple hours of my day are spent doing records management. Going through old records and trying to find out where these people are and where to get their records sent to. Its really aggravating but I don't think the last group filed one single piece of paper into anyone's medical record!

Okay, enough griping. My boss is leaving and I am off to hide for a bit! Hope all is well! I should be able to start sending pics in the near future. Take care!

Ricky...

No comments:

Post a Comment